Translate

Thursday 7 April 2016

Grade 4s Learning to Read Music!

During my school walk yesterday, I saw an innovative practice to support students to understand and read music. I visited Ms. Turcotte's Grade 4 Music class (Mr. Miron's class) and saw them using Boomwhackers! They are lightweight, hollow, colour-coded, plastic tubes, tuned to musical pitches by length. They are used as musical instruments in the percussion family. Boomwhackers produce musical tones when struck together, on the floor, or against nearly any surface. This is a fun, active tool that helps to instill the fundamentals of music within our students. I saw students learning how to play different notes and creating and playing their own compositions. I saw students enjoying themselves while learning! Great tool! Special thanks to Ms. Turcotte for using this innovative tool with her students.